• John Wiley & Co. • Reed Elsevier • Hewlett Packard • Wolters Kluwer • Barnes & Noble • Simon & Schuster • Cengage • Pearson • Book Industry Study Group • R.R. Bowker • Courseload • Cahners Magazine Group • Book Data Services • iUniverse • Klopotek AG • AARP • Edgewater Technologies • Learnetic • InterPublic Group • e-Pub Direct • Ogilvy • Organic Media • Penguin Publishing Group • Museum of Fine Arts, Boston • Next Media (Hong Kong) • Gruner + Jahr • Abercrombie & Kent • Suite101 • Olive Technology • The Beckway Group • Fremont Macanta • TechPar Group • Greyhouse Publishers •
Select project citations:
- Hired as business strategy consultant for large non-profit association and advocacy group to define business model extension into global markets, which exploited the organization’s core knowledge and expertise. Project included extensive interviews with internal and external parties, financial modeling and group strategy discussions to define the market offering. Completed project included a market size estimate, recommendation and roll-out plan for a $50 million business.
- Led corporate development team to carve out $40 million operating unit from Reed Elsevier and divest business. Subsequently, named President and managed the business from a base of $35 million to $55 million over four-year period. Built entire executive team, defined print-to-web migration strategy, acquired five businesses and effectively managed the decline in legacy products. Mentored executive team and implemented bonus and incentive program to support strategic goals of the business. Raised profit from break-even to over 18% of revenue.
- Led professional services teams (40+ staff) in software development, application integration and support and led project teams (2-10 team members) in systems evaluation, business process reengineering and corporate and business strategy. Certified project management trainer for proprietary methodology training at PriceWaterhouseCoopers. Teams frequently located in global locations including US, UK, Australia, China and Europe.
- Implemented company wide data management and data integrity program encompassing: Data governance & principles, data quality, control & certification, metadata management, data knowledge management, enterprise data stewardship strategy and master data management strategy. Extended data management program to suppliers and customers to create broad value-chain approach to data management and data improvement. Primary database product grew from 1million records to 13+million over four years. Evangelized approach via industry interest groups.
- Project team leader for information technology capabilities review at a large international advertising holding company. Completed over 200 interviews in 15 international offices and multiple group sessions to define the operational ‘gaps’ between existing agency capabilities and those necessary and important for client delivery by region. Completed project recognized by the client as base roadmap for operational IT strategy for success and improvement.
- Reorganized and re-focused $25 million software publishing company by aligning business operations with client priorities; implementing internal collaboration tools and project management standards; re-building executive team to focus on effective and efficient management. Completed financial audit resulting in cost-cutting initiatives, financial re-statement of revenue and profit and implementation of project cost accounting. Raised $15 million in new capital.
- Foundational experience as financial planning and analysis executive charged with establishing budgets, strategic plans and operational reviews. Reviewed major product investment proposals, conducted acquisition due diligence and other similar operational finance projects.
Select project scope descriptions:
“Worldwide Information Technology Strategy Review”
- Worldwide scope – 220 internal interviews
- Focus on client delivery capacity
- Technology gap analysis
- 6 Critical Phase II implementation projects
- 6 Team members -30 week project
“Operations and Performance Improvement”
- 25 Internal interviews
- Process documentation, validation and mapping
- Technology review
- Process improvement recommendations
- Key performance measures identified
- 5 Week project
“Strategic Opportunities in Medical Educational Simulations”
- 50 External interviews
- 30 Site visits
- 20 Provider/competitive profiles
- 10 Strategic opportunities identified
- 3 Client team members, 12 week project
“International Market Expansion for Services and Licensing”
- Focus on leveraging intellectual property, know-how and existing services
- Strategic recommendations
- Phase II implementation plan
- Business plan and return on investment
- 40 Internal interviews
- 10 External interviews
- 4 Team members /10 week project
“Business Process Improvement: Media Planning & Buying Function”
- 50 Internal interviews
- 10 Client interviews
- Project mapping, cycle times, reengineering & process improvement
- Key performance measures
- Technology review and gap analysis
- 12 Week project
“ISBN eBook Identification Project”
- Review and use of ISBN’s and other identifiers in eBook supply chain
- Focus on current practices
- Presented observations, quick-fixes and recommendations
- 70 External interviews
- 10 Week project
Please get in touch:
Michael Cairns – 908 938 4889. firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact me to discuss your current project and I will be happy to respond with a formal proposal based on our initial discussion. Most projects run from several weeks to several months depending on scope and complexity.
On a number of occasions, I have stepped in to a business as an interim executive and these engagements have lasted from three months to 24 months. While attending to operational challenges, I’ve also helped source permanent staff to fill these roles.